Thursday, March 9, 2017

My dancing shoes

I had grabbed a plain pair of white satin ballerina flats for the wedding day. But that was before I knew I'd be wearing a tea-length dress to my reception (read: shoes will be seen). It was time to take my footwear up a notch. And I knew just the thing.
The simple satin flats I'd been planning to wear on my wedding day, now a work-in-progress
Every time I walk past Beretun Designs in Brighton's North Lanes, my heart melts a little. Each cute and cleverly designed item in that shop makes me wish I had bottomless pockets. So, this once, just this once, I went for the splurge: I brought in my white satin ballerina flats for some hand painting.
Somewhere Over the Rainbow hand-painted shoes by Linda Johnson, Beretun Designs
I've gone for a personalized version of the Somewhere Over the Rainbow model pictured here, in reference to our processional song by Iz Kamakawiwoʻole. The twist: Brighton will be Oz. The Emerald City? An emerald Royal Pavilion. Dorothy's house crushing the Wicked Witch? The Brighton Bandstand. The munchkin village? Typical Brighton Edwardian houses à la local artist Sonia Canals. Green grassy fields covered in flowers? Swapped for pebble beaches and blue seas.

After a month and a half of eager waiting, at last, here's final result! I know I'm spending far too much for a (still) unemployed future bride, but can you believe I get to walk down the aisle, and glide across the dance floor (okay, glide might be generous), wearing these works of art?
A once-in-a-lifetime pair for a once-in-a-lifetime day:
Brighton becomes Oz in my Somewhere Over the Rainbow wedding shoes
Unconventional? Yes. Unique and perfectly personalized? Unquestionably. 37 days until I get to wear these little paintings!

No comments:

Post a Comment