Sunday, January 8, 2017

We're engaged!

To be fair, the news is a little bit old, but life has been a total whirlwind lately. So let me try to catch you up to speed. Where to begin?

Nicolas and I have known that a marriage was in the works. One doesn't just hop in a car and move from country to country as a couple without having a few good conversations along the way. Last fall, we quickly fell in love with Brighton, so when I saw a poster advertising for weddings in the Royal Pavilion, Brighton's most iconic building, it felt like fate.

We would be wed in our adopted hometown. It would be an opportunity to finally rope all our friends and family into paying us the visit to Brighton that they'd all been promising, and a chance for us to really highlight the best of our town to everyone all at once. We had visions of a multi-day affair: A day enjoying the rides on the pier, an afternoon high tea in one of Brighton's classic old hotels, a picnic in our private gardens with the tunnel to the beach that served as the inspiration for Lewis Carrol's rabbit hole. There was so much potential! I could hardly wait. July 2018 sounded like about the right time. Everything was falling neatly into place. We just had to build up a few more months' savings before we could pick the date.

Then, as my job disappeared from beneath me, we watched our dreams evaporate along with it. The only thing I knew as we prepared to go into yet another period of uncertainty was that it was time to pick up the physical symbol of the commitment we were continually making to one another: no matter what came next, we'd ride it out together. So we went to the Lanes, that narrow, winding, pedestrian maze in the heart of Brighton, to buy me a ring right before the Christmas holidays.
My antique engagement ring. Because diamonds are just so typical.
I didn't yet know what it meant in terms of a marriage timeline. I wasn't yet ready to shout it from the mountains, not in the midst of all the stress from yet another job hunt so suddenly thrust upon me. But, in quiet moments, knowing that we'd made it official made me smile.

So that's it! We're engaged! And just wait until you hear our wedding plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment