Monday, April 3, 2017

Final headcounts & payments & last-minute to-do's

This is it, folks. We have less than two weeks to go, which means it's time for full panic mode to begin. Our RSVPs are confirmed, the headcount finalized, and we even survived the agony of multiple rounds of reception table planning. We settled payments with our venues, our photographer, our baker, and our DJs. Just this past weekend, we chose our wedding cake flavors- yum! Everything looks like it's nicely lined up. Everything but those vicious wedding details, which have begun to rear their ugly heads.

How do we ensure that a rogue wedding slideshow doesn't chop off our heads and include the world's worst candid shots? How does that last friend find his housing in Brighton? How do we ensure that every family member knows exactly when and where to go all our various family activities across town? And in between all that, I've had a zillion phone calls and emails to write as I hunt down al our vendors for various logistical arrangements.

I find myself wondering why we've decided to have a party at all while I watch the last remnants of our bank account rapidly circling the drain. My job prospects are gleefully chasing the horizon, abandoning me as I scramble to explore the legal quagmire that will leave me spending the first months of married life forcibly separated from my husband while we fight to exercise the right to live together as a married couple.

And then there's the weather. England is hardly the place to leave a bride reassured that the big day will be sunny. That's right, between my concerns over visas and job interviews, your standard bride issues still haunt me.
Look at how sunny Brighton was this weekend? Why does the weather forecast call for "more clouds than sun" on April 15? It's not fair!
At this point, I'm my own worst enemy. Or is it the Immigration Services? <rant> The system that puts up every hurdle for loved ones to come together. The system that prevented happily employed friends from attending our wedding, friends who are living in France and Canada, with no intention of moving to the UK, who are unable to cross the British border because of the massive administrative and time requirements just to process a simple tourist visa. I watched as friends from Russia, Iran, India, and the Philippines had to decline because they aren't lucky enough to hold the "right" passport to attend my wedding, all because of where they randomly happened to enter the world. </rant>

As if the rest of this post doesn't scream it, the last bits of wedding planning have left me running around like a chicken with its head cut off. So let me try to wrap this up on a lighter note. Despite the immigration frustrations, we've anticipating a lovely crowd to celebrate our big day. Here are the numbers:

Total headcount: 58 guests
Nationalities represented: 11 (US, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Turkey, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, UK, South Korea)
Countdown to seeing all these guests: 12 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment