Sunday, April 16, 2017

Our sunset on the beach

Our rings are carefully tucked away, my make-up and hair are washed clean, and my family and I are all happily crashing at home. We made it! The whole evening just went from good to better. My biggest regret is that we didn't pay our photographer to stay and capture the whole extravaganza! After our ceremony, the guests were treated to a bi-lingual after-hours guided tour of the Royal Pavilion while Nicolas and I had our newlyweds photo shoot, whose highlight was unquestionably the moment a little girl came up to me to ask if I was a real princess, since I'd just emerged from a palace wearing a Disney princess gown and a tiara. *Dying just thinking about it. *
Inside the Royal Pavilion (mostly the Music Room)
Touring the Royal Pavilion grounds (and meeting another little princess)
We met our guests in the Music Room, where we ran through a few family shots before taking it outside.
Family of the bride
Family of the groom
Nicolas and I finally got our grand bubble entrance as the full wedding party, all of those who'd been in the ceremony and those who'd live-streamed it from the bar next door, welcomed the newlyweds out of the Royal Pavilion. It turns out that bubbles are even cuter and much less corny than I'd feared.
Introducing, ladies and gentlemen, your newlyweds!
Next came the photographer's to-do list:
Group shot: check
Ladies of MIT: check
Sorority sisters: check
All the beauties rocking English hair accessories: check
Before I knew it, I was ready to get my my fur on for a stroll through town. Esin guided most of our guests to our waterfront reception using our custom-made lantern designed from our unused Burning the Clocks kit. Who'd have imagined this fate for our lantern kit when we ran out of time for crafting last December? Tagging along a few minutes later (dresses don't bustle themselves!), we enjoyed a barrage of compliments and congratulations as we walked through the Lanes and across the waterfront.
A celebratory stroll through the Lanes and across the waterfront to our reception
And those awful clouds that darkened the backdrop of the Royal Pavilion? They cleared just in time for us and all our guests to bask in a glorious sunset as the evening festivities began.
A quick shot in front of Brighton's iconic West Pier, just before slipping into Alfresco, our reception venue

Check out that sunset in the works! Our photographer had warned me not to hold my breath for this. Ha!

The table of honor, awaiting us
But before we took those sunset snaps, I enjoyed one of my best wedding decisions: the second dress. Slipping out of the gorgeous but lung-defying corseted Ian Stuart gown just in time to start eating and dancing absolutely made my night. In a 50's inspired tea-length lace dress, I breathed deeply for the first time in hours, and skipped my way back onto our pebble beaches for those last few professional photos. (Did I mention I also wore flats? Count that in as the other best decision of the day.)
And there you have it, our sunset on the beach. Brighton did us proud.
Then came the food, the dancing, and the toasts. And, unlike what everyone told us, we definitely got the chance to eat, and eat well. There was just so much fabulous food to choose from. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Alfresco for anyone looking for a waterfront wedding reception in Brighton.

Our fathers both charmed with their lovely toasts, but it was Nicolas's eldest sister's family who stole the show with their personalized rendition of the YMCA song, set to our initials, NKER. And with that, the dance floor was open. We threw our months of dance lessons to the wind with our first dance to Hall and Oates's You Make My Dreams Come True, which our families kindly agreed to storm us on, half way through. Soon enough, the dance floor was packed and the night was flying. The most brilliant moment was Nicolas and my impromptu pole dance, video of which I have yet to acquire after more than a little asking around. (I haven't given up yet.)
What a party! 💖 💞
As cliché as it sounds, there just wasn't enough time to greet to all our guests. I found myself hugging people and saying my farewells before I'd hardly had a chance to thank them for even showing up! But one thing's for sure: neither Nicolas nor I forgot to enjoy our wedding. What a fabulous, pull-out-the-stops way to celebrate our first evening as husband and wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment