Friday, April 7, 2017

Good news!

After months of searching, traveling, and sending CVs into the abyss, my job hunt has officially come to an end, and not a moment too soon, just before we dive into full-on wedding mode. This week, I didn't get one but two job offers. And while one of them had been a long time coming, more than two months after beginning the interview process, the other, which I've decided to go with, feels like it magically materialized only a couple of weeks ago. I'm proud to say that I have accepted an offer, and I will be joining Scientifica as a Test & Installation Engineer. 

There's a lot to be excited about here. Scientifica is a company that designs microscopy and electrophysiology equipment for neuroscientists, people doing exactly the sort of work that I've done for most of the past decade. But what's more, I was always the neuroscientist in lab tinkering with the optics. (Thank you, MIT Engineering!) As a postdoc back in Denmark, I actually worked on Scientifica equipment, the same sort of stuff I will now be installing worldwide. This position draws absurdly well on all the aspects of my academic training, both the biology and the optics, while still offering a major pro of consulting: constantly meeting new people and learning new things at a fast-pace, only now it'll be learning about new neuroscience research topics and equipment needs, rather than the travails of stocking grocery store shelves.

And did I mention that Scientifca's headquarters are only a 30 minute drive from Brighton? That's right, guess who isn't moving after all?? How amazing is that, this highly specialized company known and respected throughout the international neuro community, nestled right outside my favorite English city without my even realizing! And I won't just be trapped in a suburban office: every other week I'll be traveling internationally, anywhere from Paris to Cali to China (but often with less glamor: think Detroit). Time to invest in some melatonin and a sleep mask. I am in for one exciting professional ride!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Emilienne!!! That job sounds so perfect for you! And congrats also to you and Nicolas on your wedding! (This story just popped up on my feed even though it appears you posted it ages ago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Grace! Lol I back-dated this and have a bunch of drafts from the past month that will appear over the next week or two with post-dates in April. It's been such a crazy month! Very excited about the new job, whenever my visa arrives to let me finally start it. :) Hope you're doing well too!

      Delete