Saturday, April 15, 2017

We do!

The doorbell rang. Our photographer, Jacqui, had arrived. Nicolas was back from work and was battling with his necktie. (Yes, my wonderful husband found a way to work on our wedding day in between the family breakfast and our 2:30 photography appointment.) Wasn't it about time to start feeling nervous or emotional or something beyond slightly suffocated by my corset? I smiled for the camera, and felt a smidgen disappointed that the corset couldn't suck in my waist a bit more. I guess everyone imagines a Cinderella-esque transformation after the Fairy Godmothers, aka the professional hair and make-up team, work their magic. So there is a moment of deflation upon discovering that the reflection peering back from the mirror is just a shinier version of oneself, imperfections and all.
A shinier version of me, ready and waiting to show off to my almost-husband
Me and my little princess, waiting for our Prince Charming to emerge
Was I right about my mom having a way with flowers or what?
All dolled up

Posing with the proud parents
I remember the relief, there was certainly that emotion. It was high time to be done obsessing over this day. And about time get my hands on a wedding certificate and all the associated rights. There was also the calm joy, muted by all the other events that led us here so quickly, but the joy nonetheless to be making Nicolas my husband. Although we'd been living together for years, and we share a home, cats, and a joint bank account, there's still something so affirming about officially committing to a lifetime together. Still, I thought I'd feel, I don't know, something more.
I just love this picture. I'm not sure my husband will ever learn to tie a tie.
The "Big Reveal" was entertaining enough, especially since there wasn't much to surprise Nicolas as I'd already showed him photos of my dress, never expecting that he'd respond by telling me he'd rather save it for the wedding day. Mr. No-Proposal-My-Fiancee-Can-Find-Her-Own-Ring suddenly believed in tradition? Still, we played along. Geraldine covered Nicolas's eyes as she guided him to me in the living room.
Our "Big Reveal"
And then we had the photos, countless snaps as we toured our private gardens with our own secret tunnel to the sea, our witnesses by our sides. Yes, my dear reader, cue the photo dump.



Yes, that's an Easter Bunny! This was Easter weekend, after all.








So. Brighton.


And suddenly, it was time to call a taxi. The Royal Pavilion awaited!
Taxi'ing to our wedding
I was still entertained by how we'd managed to squeeze some many fancy-looking people into one plain taxi as I emerged into the throngs of wedding guests mulling about outside the Royal Pavilion. They had come from all over to be here for us! And they all looked so happy! Yep, this was really it.
Our wedding programs, ready to be handed out
We peeled ourselves away to go confirm our details with the registrar, and then we barely had time to launch a live stream video with Esin's help before lining up the processional.
Our wedding procession, presented chronologically, clockwise from top left corner
The ceremony didn't go off without a hitch— it seems Nicolas's parents didn't quite get the concept of walking a child down the aisle, and our officiant certainly could not wrap her head around our French names. But all in all, for a simple civil ceremony, it was surprisingly lovely. I was particularly pleased that we said our vows in both English and French, as it meant a lot to me that we each made such big commitments in both our native tongues. But I was also glad we just stuck to the legal vows. I felt no compulsion to make this ceremony long and sappy. It was a joyous little moment, not the time for over-sentimentality (apart from an instant when my parents "gave me away"), but a time to revel in our fantastic fortunes to have found our best friends and life partners in each other.
We put a ring on it!
For once, I felt surprisingly present in the moment, and very happy to be there. And I couldn't help notice Nicolas, my emotional blank canvas of a husband, getting a little teary-eyed, which made the moment that much more touching.
Showing off my new ring in between signing our marriage certificates
Sing along now: We-are-family! 
Take that, world! Marriage certificate in hand, I can stay in the same country as Nicolas and take my new job too!
After a brief interruption right at the end of the ceremony when a staffer came in to discuss a missing tour guide, we danced our way out to the sounds of The Darkness's I Believe in a Thing Called Love. In that moment, I like to think the whole room believed too.

♫ I believe in a thing called love... ♫

No comments:

Post a Comment